- 2 cups self raising flour
- 4 tbsp castor sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp margarine (heaped)
I hadn’t made these in a very long time, in fact I think I last made them when I was in form 1 or 2 during my food and nutrition classes, LOL. My mom also used to make these for us every now and then. It’s a quick fix for that time when you need to put something in your child’s lunch box or visitors have arrived and there is nothing to help them drink their tea or coffee with. It will only take you about 5min to mix this and 20min baking. In total you will have 30min waiting time including cooling before you serve your guests and surely they can wait that long as the aroma of freshly baked rock buns will be filling the house. OK let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, 350 F, gas-mark 6. Get ingredients ready then sift all the dry ingredients which are your flour (2 cups), Castor sugar (4 tbsp) and the pinch of salt. Add margarine (1 tbsp heaped) and rub it in using your fingers.
- Add raisins (1/3 cup raisins) and mix. Create a hole in the middle and pour your egg (lightly beaten).
- Add milk (3/4 cup) and mix until everything is just combined and a crumbly dough forms and briefly set-aside. Take your baking sheet then lay grease proof paper inside it. Take your set aside Rock Bun dough use a table spoon to drop the mixture onto the grease proof paper forming individual Rock Buns.Put your Rock Buns in the preheat oven and bake for 20 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown.
- After 20 minutes take them out and place them on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Your Rock Buns are ready to be served!