Name of EventItaly - Anniversary of the Republic
|Preparation time||25-30 minutes|
- 5 egg yolks
- 150g (5.29 ounces) sugar
- 450g (15.87 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 21 Savoiardi or lady fingers#
- Coffee (for mild use 1 cup of hot water and 4 teaspoons of granulated coffee. For stronger (recommended) use a two triple shot espresso, order from your favorite coffee shop/cafe)
- dash of Marsala or 2 tablespoons dark rum or brandy (optional)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder or 1/4 cup shaved semisweet chocolate
- Strawberries to decorate (optional)
Note The dish for this recipe is a 28cm (11.02 inches) x 11cm (4.33 inches)
# If you cant get Savoiardi or lady fingers locally we recommend the online stores Pasta & Cheese for USA cooks and Nife is Life for UK cooks. You can use loaf pound cake, preferably marbled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices for a less authentic dessert.
- Place your egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until combined and then continue to stir until the mixture is hot to touch. Then keep stirring over the heat for 5 minutes more to ensure the yolks are well cooked.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, to speed up this process place the bowl in a sink partly filled with cool water.
- Once it is completely cool, do not cheat here and use it while it is still warm or you will ruin your dessert. Gently fold through the mascarpone.
- Take your sponge fingers (or pound cake) and dip them into the coffee mixture. The longer you leave them in the more they will absorb and the stronger the dessert will be.
- Place a layer of the fingers across the base of your dish, cutting them down to size if you need to. Then spread over a thin layer of your mascarpone mixture. Then add your next layer of fingers and continue in this way finishing with mascarpone.
- Top your dessert with a sprinkle of cocoa powder and/or the shaved semisweet chocolate