Name of EventChinese New Year
A traditional fish dish for New Year. .
|Preparation time||15 mins. + 30 mins. Refrigeration|
|Cooking time||10-15 mins|
- 1½ pounds (700gms.) whole snapper or bream, well cleaned
- 2 tbs salted black beans*
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce*
- ¼ tsp sesame oil*
- 2 green onions (spring onions), with tops
- In a small bowl, place the black beans and cover with warm water. Stir the beans for about 2 minutes to remove the excess salt. Remove the beans from the water, rinse, and drain well.
- Slash the fish crosswise 3 times on each side.
- In a small bowl, mix the ginger, vegetable oil, black beans, garlic, salt, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil; rub the cavity and outside of the fish with the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or longer.
- Cut the green (spring) onions into 2-inch pieces; shred lengthwise into fine strips. Place in a bowl with ice water to cover; let stand 10 minutes, or until the strips curl.
- Place the fish on a heatproof plate and then on a rack in a steamer, cover, and steam over boiling water until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Add more boiling water if necessary.
- Garnish with green (spring) onions
- Serve with hot steamed rice & Chinese pickles (optional)