Name of EventHalloween
|Preparation time||45 minutes|
|Cooking time||8-10 minutes + 2 hours refrigeration|
|Main Ingredient||Flour (Optional Gluten-Free Flour Blend)|
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tbs fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp freshly grated orange peel/zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose/plain flour/(Optional Gluten-Free Flour Blend)#
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- orange paste or gel food color
- yellow paste or gel food color
- 1/2 cup sugar
# Gluten-Free Flour Blend:
Combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.
- Line bottom and sides of a 9x5 in. loaf pan with waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a large mixing; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, orange juice, orange peel/zest and salt. Continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed. Divide dough into thirds.
- Press one-third of white dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. Place another one-third dough back into same bowl. Add small amount of orange food color; mix until color is well blended.
- Press orange dough evenly over white dough. Place remaining one-third of dough into another medium bowl. Add small amount of yellow food color; mix until color is well blended.
- Press yellow dough evenly over orange dough.
- Cover with plastic food/cling wrap; refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hrs or overnight).
- Heat oven 375°.
- Invert loaf pan to remove dough. Peel off waxed paper.
- Place layered dough onto cutting surface. Cut loaf crosswise into 1/4-inch slices using sharp knife, trimming edges to make even, if necessary. Cut each slice into 6 wedges.
- Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Immediately sprinkle warm cookies with sugar; sugar..
- Place cookies onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Store in loosely covered container. These cookies can be made ahead and stored in the freezer up to 1 month.