Name of EventSt Sava Day
Cuisine FromSerbia and Montenegro Yugoslavia
|Preparation time||10-15 minutes|
|Cooking time||40 minutes + cooling time 1-2 hours|
|Main Ingredient||Sour Cherries|
- 1 (15 ounce) package double crust ready-to-use pie crust
- All-purpose/plain flour for surface\
- 1 cup granulated/caster sugar
- 1 tbs finely grated lime zest
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 3 pounds fresh sour cherries, pitted, or 6 cups frozen sour cherries #
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 2 tbs kirsh/cherry brandy (optional)
- Demerara sugar or granulated/caster sugar (for sprinkling)
# This recipe can also be adapted to use canned tart cherries, just treat them as you would thawed frozen cherries, thickening the cherries with their juices as instructed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Press one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Combine granulated/caster sugar and lime zest in a large bowl, rubbing together with your fingertips to release oils in zest. Whisk in cornstarch and salt until there are no lumps in cornstarch. Add kirsh/cherry brandy (if using), cherries and mix well. Let the mixture stand for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the other pie crust into 1/2 inch strips to make a lattice top. Pour the cherry mixture into the pie shell. Lay the strips across the pie in a lattice pattern, and pinch the edges to seal
- Bake in the preheated oven 40 to 50 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool before serving
Note: Pie can be baked 1 day ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
We recommend soucing the hard to get ingredients (highlightrd in blue) from Amazon, Just click on product for details.