Name of EventDeepavali (Diwali) - the festival of lights
Traditional semolina sweet flavoured with raisins and nuts
|Preparation time||5 mins|
|Cooking time||30 mins|
- 1⁄2 lb (250 gms) semolina /sooji / fine split wheat
- 5 tbs clarified butter or ghee
- 1 cup sugar to taste
- 4 green cardamom pods crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 almonds
- 10 cashews
- 12 raisins
- 1 pinch orange food color/ saffron
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Using a thick bottom pot warm the clarified butter/ghee.
- Fry the almonds and cashews till golden brown. Add the raisins, they need to be fried and removed quickly. Set aside to garnish later.
- In the same pot with the ghee add cinnamon sticks and cardamom, these spices give a lot of flavor to the dish.
- In another pot make sugar syrup by heating ½ to 1 cup water and sugar together.
- Add the sooji/ semolina to the original pot. Saute the sooji/ semolina in ghee before adding the sugar syrup. Add this sugar syrup and an additional 2 cups of warm water. Cook slowly and saute on low flame, stirring occasionally till it is slightly brown and emanates a pleasant aroma.
- Keep stirring the sooji while cooking on low flame and check for sweetness. Adjust sugar to taste.
- When the sooji/ semolina absorbs all the syrup it is cooked, add the saffron and mix in ½ cup of milk.
- Keep stirring till a good consistency is formed (see picture above). The sooji dessert is now done.
- Garnish with golden almonds, cashews and raisins and serve warm.