Name of EventThanksgiving USA
Traditional meal for any "Southern" festive occasion.
|Preparation time||20 mins|
|Cooking time||3 hours + smoked chicken time|
|Main Ingredient||Smoked Chicken and Sausage|
- 1 whole smoked chicken (see reipe below if smoking youself store bought is OK) or roasted chicken, skin removed, shredded
- 1 smoked turkey drumstick (or breast equivelant))
- 1 lb. hot sausage, hot links, or andouille sausage, sliced on the diagonal 1/2" pieces
- 1 small pack of chicken gizzards (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbs creole seasoning
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 bunch celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley, minced
- 1 bunch of green onions, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 64 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 64 oz. water
- 1 1/2 c. roux (click link for recipe)
- hot sauce
- pot of hot rice
Smoked Chicken Ingredients
- 1 whole chicken about 3 lbs.
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- To prepare the smoked chicken, rinse and clean chicken, pat dry. Rub olive oil over chicken and sprinkle all the seasonings. Sprinkle lemon juice and zest over whole chicken. Stick garlic and juiced lemon in cavity. Marinate overnight if you have time. Remove from refrigerator and smoke at 225 degrees for 4 hours.
- In a large stock pot, add broth and water. Add all chopped vegetables, bay leaves, chicken gizzards that have been rinsed and cleaned under cold water, and add sausage that have been sliced on a diagonal about 1/2 inch slices. Add smoked turkey and all the seasonings. If you think your sausage might be extremely greasy, slice them and boil them in a separate pot for about 20 minutes to release the oil from them. Then add them to the stock pot. Allow this mixture to cook for about 1 hour on medium heat.
- Start preparing your roux while the vegetable mixture cooks.Directions below on how to prepare your roux. After 1 hour, remove smoked turkey from pot, peel off turkey skin and discard, shred turkey meat and add back to the pot. Lower heat to medium-low and add 1 1/2 cups of the roux mixture and cook for 30 minutes more. Be very careful when adding the roux, it will splatter and burn you.
- I put a big spoon in the pot and allow the roux to fall on the spoon first so it slowly hits the hot stock. After adding the roux, put a lid on the pot with a slight vent and this will allow any grease that accumulates to rise to the top of the pot so you can skim it off.
- You will not get all the grease off, its OK. Finally, dump the shredded smoked chicken in the pot. Let gumbo cook 30 minutes more while you prepare your hot rice and get ready to eat.
- Serve with lots of hot sauce.