Name of EventRobbie Burns Night
Cullen Skink is a famous Scottish fish soup made with smoked haddock/potato
|Yield||4-6 bowls or 10-14 cups|
|Preparation time||10-15 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 - 20 mins|
|Main Ingredient||Smoked Haddock|
- 800 grams smoked haddock (skin removed)*
- 50 grams butter
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 1.2 liters full cream milk (2 pints)
- 1 large potato finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped parsley for garnish
* Try to get genuine smoked haddock not the "died" variety from South Africa
- In a large pan place the smoked haddock and add the milk and bay leaf
- Poach gently for a few minutes until you can flake the fish
- Remove the fish from pan and fake with a fork, removing any bones
- Add the butter, onion and potato to pan and cook gently until soft.
- When the vegetables are soft, remove the bay leaf.
- In a food processor blend the milk, onion and potatoes until they are like a smooth cream. (I If you don't have a processor then use a potato masher although you won't get such a good smooth creamy texture).
- Return to the pan, and add the flaked haddock.
- Season with pepper. (You probably won't need salt as the smoked fish is usually salty).
- Add chopped parsley.