Name of EventHalloween
|Preparation time||25-30 minutes + refrigerate for 30-60 minutes,|
|Cooking time||15-20 minutes|
- 1 cup unsalted butter/margarine, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’/icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Beat in the egg and vanilla, almond extracts. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt to the creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Divide dough into fourths; cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes, or until easy to handle.
- Remove one piece of dough from refrigerator at a time, roll quickly into 1-inch balls (15 balls per quarter portion of dough), and then shape balls quickly into 3-inch by 1/2-inch fingers, tapering the finger tips very slightly.
- Using the flat tip of a table knife, make an indentation on the finger tip for a fingernail. With the unsharp edge of a knife, make two sets of three slashes on each finger for knuckle areas. Using knife held vertically, score bottom end of finger, to create ragged “torn off” look.
- Place fingers 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Squeeze a small amount of strawberry jam on nail bed, outlining edge of nail bed. Press a sliced almond over the jam for nail, allowing the jam to ooze around nail. (Choose well-shaped almonds and turn them so the whitest side is facing up.)
- Add some more jam to decorate the stump end of the finger. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.