Name of EventHalloween
|Preparation time||40-45 minutes + 8 hours cooling or overnight|
5 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
3½ cup heavy (thickened) cream
15 oz. canned pumpkin
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. dark rum
1 tsp. powdered gelatin
3 oz. shaved dark chocolate
- Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set aside.
- Whisk the yolks, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 3/4 cup cream together in a medium saucepan. Heat while stirring continuously with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon over medium-low heat, until thickened and the mixture coats the spatula -- about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set over the ice bath. Stir to cool.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt to the egg mixture. Stir 1 tablespoon rum and 1 teaspoon gelatin together in a small bowl. Heat the remaining tablespoon rum, and stir in to the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Gently whisk into the pumpkin mixture. Beat 1/2 cup cream to stiff peaks, and fold into pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into a shallow dish, cover and chill until cold and thick enough to fall from a spoon in heavy dollops -- about 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Beat the remaining cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Alternately layer the pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in a glass serving dish. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings between top two layers. Serve chilled
Recipe courtesy of Country Living. Visit their site for many more Halloween recipes.