Name of EventCyprus Independence Day
Grilled marinated pork shoulder on skewers on Pita bread.
|Preparation time||30 mins + 2 hours resting|
|Cooking time||10-15 mins|
For the meat
- 2 1/2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tsp of ground Greek oregano (rigani)
- 1/2 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbs of sea salt
- 2 tbs of red wine (or good red wine vinegar)
- 2 tbs of olive oil
For the sauce (optional if serving with pita bread - recommended)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 500g plain yoghurt
- 1 cucumber, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 souvlaki breads (or pita or gyros bread)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, pour wine (or vinegar) and oil over the pork and toss to coat. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and oregano, and toss again.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Note: If using vinegar, do not marinate longer than 2 hours or the meat can absorb too strong a vinegar taste. If using wine, the meat can be marinated for up to 2 days as long as salt is also used.
- Using 8 inch skewers, thread approximately 6 pieces of meat on each. This should make about 12 skewers.
- Grill the meat, turning once- or until they're done as much as you want, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve on the skewers with a squeeze of lemon or lightly sprinkle pita bread with olive oil, and place on the bbq or under the grill to warm.
- Serve meat on pita bread along with sliced red onion, sliced tomato and yoghurt sauce