Name of EventEaster Sunday
Rch bread, laced with rum syrup and drizzled with icing,
|Preparation time||12-15 minutes + 90 minutes resting time for dough|
|Cooking time||35-40 minutes|
|Main Ingredient||Bread, dried fruit/ & rum|
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) softened butter
- 2 cups All-Purpose/plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins (golden raisins preferred)
- 1/4 cup candied mixed fruit or candied mixed peel; or mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated/caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water*
- 1 to 2 tablespoons rum*
- *Or substitute apple juice for the water and rum.
- 1 cup confectioners'/icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk; or a combination of milk and rum or apple juice
- Place everything except the fruit in a mixing bowl, and beat at medium speed until cohesive. Increase your mixer's speed to high, and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the fruit, beating gently just to combine.
- Cover the bowl, and let the dough/thick batter rest/rise for 60 minutes; it won't appear to do too much.
- Scoop the batter into a greased 10-cup Bundt pan. Cover the pan, and let the dough rest/rise for 30 minutes, while you preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake the babka for 35 to 40 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads at least 190°F.
- While the babka is baking, prepare the rum syrup. Combine all of the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil, swirling the liquid in the pan, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the babka from the oven. Poke it all over gently with a toothpick or fork, and slowly pour the syrup over the babka's surface.
- When the syrup is fully absorbed (about 20 minutes or so), carefully loosen the babka's edges, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack.
- To make the icing: Mix all of the ingredients together, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over completely cool babka.