Name of EventEaster Sunday
Traditiona Cinnamon Scrolls with organic ingrediants
|Preparation time||30 mins. + 45 mins. resting time (dough)+20- 30 mins. for scrolls|
|Cooking time||20-30 minutes|
The Cinnamon Scrolls
- 150 grams of butter
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 25g instant dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fine raw sugar (
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seeds or 2 tsp ground (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup organic wholemeal bakers plain/all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups organic unbleached bakers plain/all-purpose flour + 1/2-1cup extra
- 50g softened butter to spread
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or rapadura sugar
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup raw or brown /rawsugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds/nuts (organic, if possible)
Vanilla cheesecake style frosting
- 250 g (9oz) soft cream cheese
- zest of 1/2 lemon and its juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- a little maple syrup or honey to taste.
Making the scrolls.
- In a small saucepan slowly melt the butter and add to the milk.
- Put yeast in a large bowl, add about 1 cup of the butter/milk mixture, stirring to dissolve the yeast. Cover bowl with tea towel and let stand in warm place for 5-10 minutes. This will allow the yeast to start working.
- When yeast mixture is frothy, add the rest of the liquid as well as the salt, sugar and cardamom.
- Mix to combine. Add the wholemeal flour, stir to combine. Add 2/3 of the plain flour and mix in to form a dough. Add the last of the flour.
- You may need to add slightly less or more dough to get the right consistency. When the dough forms into a ball and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl it's the right consistency. Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of flour on top of the dough.
- Cover the dough with tea towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for about 45 mins, until it has doubled in size.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of plain flour onto a clean work surface. Tip the dough out of the bowl and knead the for a few minutes, working in the flour plus a bit more if it still sticks to the bench.
- When the dough doesn't stick to either hands or bench, it is ready to be rolled out to a 1 cm thick rectangle approx. 30x60cm. Alternatively you can split the dough in half and make two rectangles a bit smaller.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl to make the filling
- Spread the filling mixture on the dough. Roll the dough from the longest side, to make a long roll of dough and filling. Roll from longest side to form a scroll. Cut into 24 equal slices. Place each slice into a baking dish, flatten slightly
- Cover trays with tea towel for scrolls rise again, 20-30 min until doubled in size.
- Brush top of scrolls with beaten egg and sprinkle with desired topping (nuts). Bake in 200 C oven for about 8 mins until golden, turning tray for even colouring halfway if needed.
- Allow to cool slightly and decorate with frosting/icing
- Eat warm or cold. Freezes well.
Making the frosting/icing
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Beat well until smooth and creamy.