Name of EventDeepavali (Diwali) - the festival of lights
|Preparation time||3 hours (soaking dal)|
|Cooking time||20 mins|
|Main Ingredient||Flaked rice|
1/3 cup Chana Dal
1 1/4 cups cooking oil
2 teaspoons onion seeds (Kalonji)*
6 dry curry leaves
3 cups poha (flaked rice) *
2 tbs raw peanuts
2 tbs golden raisins (sultanas)
5 tbs sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 ounces thin sev (lightly flavored chick pea flour strings)*
* Available Indian grocers...see below
- Rinse and soak the chana dal in a bowl of water for at least 3 hours.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion seeds and the dry curry leaves and fry, stirring constantly, until onion seeds are crisp and golden.
- Add the poha (rice flakes) to the mixture in the pan and fry until poha is golden brown (be careful not to burn poha).
- Remove mixture from the pan (leaving some oil in the pan) and place on paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
- With the extra oil in the pan, fry peanuts, while stirring constantly.
- Add peanuts to the poha mixture. Mix well. Add raisins, sugar, salt and chili powder. Mix well. Mix in sev. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Reheat remaining oil in the pan and fry chana dal until golden brown. Add dal to serving dish and mix together.