Name of EventHoli - Indian festival
Fluffy pancakes dipped in sugar syrup and topped with sweetened milk & nuts
|Preparation time||60-75 minutes (includes making the sauces)|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
For pancake/batter (malpua)
- 1 cup (125 grams) all purpose/plain flour
- 1 tsp fennel seeds* whole or crushed
- 3 to 4 cardamoms,* crushed or ⅓ tsp cardamom powder*
- 3 pinches baking soda or ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup water, 125 ml or add as required
- 3 tbsp evaporated milk, about 50 grams or 3 tbsp whole milk powder
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 3 tbsp ghee* (clarified butter) for frying
For sugar syrup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
For sweetened thickened milk (rabdi)
- 1.25 litres full cream milk,
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp sugar or add as required
- 5 to 6 cardamoms, crushed or ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 pinches of saffron strands*
- 1 tsp rose water
- 2 tbsp almonds and 2 tbsp pistachios, blanched and sliced
* Available Amazon
Making the sugar syrup:
- Heat ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup water. on a low heat simmer the mixture. stirrng so that the sugar melts.
- Keep the sugar syrup in a hot water bath/double boiler so that it stays warm throughout and does not crystallize.
- heat ghee in a pan or griddle.
- when the ghee is heating up add 3 pinches soda or ⅛ tsp baking soda to the malpua batter.
- mix very well.
- lower the flame. take 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp of the batter and gently pour it on the hot ghee. spread the batter lightly with the back of the spoon. make 2 to 4 malpuas depending on the size of the pan.
- fry on a low to medium till crisp and golden flipping the malpuas a couple of times.
- drain them on paper towels.
- then immediately place them in the warm sugar syrup. gently coat the malpuas with the sugar syrup with a spoon or small tongs.
- immediately remove them and place them in a serving tray or plate. prepare all malpuas this way and coat them with the sugar syrup.
- pour some rabri on top. garnish with the chopped almonds and pistachios. serve the malpua with hot rabdi/thickened milk. You can also just serve the pancakes coated with the sugar syrup and garnished with the dry fruits.
Making the rabri or sweet creamy thickened milk:
- In a broad thick bottomed pan or sauce pan take 1.25 litres of full fat whole milk and bring it to the boil, lower the flame and continue to simmer the milk. stir at intervals.
- Stir the clotted cream/malai which forms on top of the milk to the sides of the pan add them back to the milk. Ensure that the milk does not get browned or burnt from the bottom as well as the sides. Keep on simmering, stirring, removing the clotted cream..
- Turn off the heat when the milk has reduced and become thickened. It will take about 1 hour for the milk to thicken on a low flame.
- Add sugar. stir well so that the sugar dissolves. Next add crushed saffron or saffron powder along with rose water. add the sliced almonds and pistachios.
- Place the milk in a bowl and serve it later with the pancakes. refrigerate if not using it immediately.
Making the batter and dry fruits:
- In a mixing bowl take 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 3 to 4 cardamoms, crushed or ⅓ tsp cardamom powder. mix the dry ingredients well.
- Add 3 tbsp evaporated milk and 3 tbsp yogurt. instead of milk you can also use milk powder.
- Add ½ cup water and begin to stir to a thick flowing batter without lumps. Allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile when the batter is resting blanch the almonds and pistachios in hot water. keep them soaked in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. then peel and slice them. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan or griddle, when the ghee is heating up add 3 pinches soda or ⅛ tsp baking soda to the batter and mix very well.
- lower the heat. take 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp of the batter and gently pour it on the hot ghee. spread the batter lightly with the back of the spoon. make 2 to 4 pancakes depending on the size of the pan.
- Fry on a low to medium till crisp and golden flipping the malpuas a couple of times. Drain them on paper towels.
- Then immediately place them in the warm sugar syrup. gently coat the pancakes with the sugar syrup with a spoon or small tongs.
- Immediately remove them and place them in a serving tray or plate. prepare all the pancakes this way and coat them with the sugar syrup.
- Pour some rabri on top. garnish with the chopped almonds and pistachios. Serve the pancakes with hot. you can also just serve the malpuas coated with the sugar syrup and garnished with the dry fruits.