Name of EventChinese New Year
|Yield||4-6 with rice|
|Preparation time||15-20 minutes + soaking time noodles 20 - 30 minutes|
|Cooking time||10-15 minutes|
- 4 dried Shiitake or Chinese black mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dried lily buds*
- 4 dried bean curd sticks*
- 250 grams fried tofu
- 250 grams bamboo shoots, sliced into large pieces
- 6 chopped water chestnuts.
- 2 large carrots peeled and julienned
- 1 cup shredded napa/wombok Chinese cabbage
- 125 grams snow peas
- 1/4 cup canned gingko nuts, drained *
- 1 knuckle of ginger, crushed
- Cellophane noodles
- Vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, as needed
- 1/4 cup mushroom soaking liquid
- 1.5 tbsp Shaoxing wine or Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
In separate bowls, soak the mushrooms, dried lily buds, and dried bean curd sticks in hot water for 20 - 30 minutes to soften. Squeeze out any excess liquid. Set aside the mushroom soaking liquid, straining it if necessary to remove any grit. Remove the stems.
Soak cellophane noodles just before using. Don't let them sit in hot water too long, or they will turn mushy
Mix the reserved mushroom soaking liquid with the rice wine/sherry together with 1 tsp ginger, oyster sauce, soy sauces, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Set aside.
Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 1 tbs of oil to the heated wok. When the oil is hot, add the tofu and bean curd with a little salt and sugar, and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove, then repeat the same process for the gingko nuts and remove.
Add more oil, then stir-fry the carrots. Stir-fry for 1 minute, and add the dried mushrooms and lily buds. Stir-fry for 1 minute, and add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, snow peas and rest of the ginger.
Stir in the cabbage and return all other cooked ingredients back to the wok, and then add noodles after cabbage has wilted slightly. Add the soaked cellophane noodles.
Add the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat and let the vegetables simmer for 5 minutes.
Taste and add salt or other seasonings as desired. Serve hot with steamed white rice.