Name of EventEaster Sunday
Tender, cakey ricotta cookies
|Preparation time||25-30 minutes + 35 minutes resting time|
|Cooking time||8-10 minutes|
For the cookies:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cup granulated/castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz./425 grams ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
Note: Some cooks add a little anise for extra flavor...optional
For the glaze:
- 4-5 tbsp. full cream milk
- 1½ cups confectioners/icing sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, ricotta cheese, lemin zest and vanilla extract; mix until well combined. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture; mix well. Roll or scoop the dough into teaspoon-sized balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2-inches apart.
3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the milk, powdered sugar, and almond extract until smooth. Dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze and set upright back on the wire rack. Immediately top with sprinkles. Repeat for remaining cookies. then let set for at least 20 minutes before serving
For more Easter Festive recipes,gift ideas & Easter cookbooks visit our Easter Page.