Name of Event
A traditional dessert/cake filled with blended figs, nuts and spices
|Preparation time||30-40 mins + 30 minutes resting for dough|
|Cooking time||40-45 minutes|
For the dough
- 300 gms plain/all-purpose flour
- 150 gms sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 gms unsalted butter
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white for egg wash
For the filling
- 500 gms dried figs
- 50 gms chopped almonds
- 150 gms honey
- ½ Marsala wine
- Juice and zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 clove
Unsalted pistachios or garnish of choice.
Making the filling.
- Soak the figs in Marsala and orange juice. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Combine the figs with the other ingredients for the filling. Make sure all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Set aside
Making the dough
- On a flat surface mix together the flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder.
- Chop the cold butter and rub into the dry ingredients until the dough resembles bread crumbs
- Add the eggs and mix thoroughly and bring the dough together to form a ball. If the dough is to dry, add a few drops of water to moisten.
- Fold and press with the palm of your hands; if dough is sticky, add some more flour. Do not over mix.
- When dough forms into a single mass, cover with a plastic wrap, set aside, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (Overnight is best).
- Roll the dough out into a long flat rectangle between two sheets of baking paper.
Bringing it all together
- Place the filling in the middle of the dough and use the paper to fold the sides over it.
- Turn the roll around so that the fold is at the bottom of the cake and join the ends to form a wreath/ring.
- Make small slits in the side of the pastry with a knife or fork for presentation. (Optional)
- Place the cake on a baking pan, top with pistachios and baste it with egg white.
- Bake the cake at 170 C / 340 F for 40 minutes until golden brown.