Name of EventChristmas
A moist and delicate pastry filled with lekvar (tart prune) or apricot preserve
|Yield||Makes 3-4 dozen, depending on the size of kiffles.|
|Preparation time||30-40 mins + 2-3 hours or overnight for resting dough|
|Cooking time||8-10 minutes|
|Main Ingredient||Flour/Cream cheese|
- 1 cup/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package of Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour
- Lekvar # (Prunes) and apricot preserves or any fruit fillings
- Confectioner’s/icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using andelectric mixer on medium speed, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese. Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix until light and fluffy.
- Add 3 cups of flour and knead with hands. The dough should be smooth but not sticky. If it is too sticky, continue to add flour until the right consistency is achieved.
- Divide the dough into four balls, cover in plastic wrap and chill dough several hours or overnight. Please not the less you handle the dough the more delicate and flakier it will be when it's baked.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and then cut the dough into small squares. Place a dollop of lekvar (prunes) or apricot preserves in the center of the square and then lift up two diagonal corners of the dough to center, pinching together to seal into crescents.
- Arrange pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and allow to bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve!