Name of EventPurim - Jewish holiday
|Preparation time||30 mins + 1 hour refrigeration for dough (optional)|
|Cooking time||12-15 minutes|
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cups plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 cup jam or filling of choice (apricot or raspberry are favourites) Note: If you are going to use jam, make sure that it is a thick jam so that it doesn’t ooze out of the cookie while baking
- Preheat oven to 180 C/375F. and line baking sheets with parchment/baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the oil, vanilla and orange juice.
- Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the egg mixture to form a stiff dough. If dough is not stiff enough to roll out, stir in more flour.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough out to 1/2cm in thickness. The secret to making the triangle shape of hamantaschen is to start with a circle. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass
- Once you have the circles cut, place a dollop of filling in the middle of the dough. Do not be tempted to overstuff a hamantaschen. Adding too much filling will lead to less than great results when baking; the filling can ooze out, or the sides can fall down, and you almost certainly will wind up with an open, round cookie with filling melted on top.
- Lift/fold up three sides of the dough circle and pinch the three corners so that you create a triangle with the filling secure in the centere. Make sure that the corners are stuck together tightly and that the three sides become walls around (and even slightly covering) the filling. Place circles 5cm apart onto the prepared baking trays.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of jam/you filling of choice into the centre of each circle. Pinch the edges to form three corners
8. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow biscuits to cool for 1 minute on the baking tray before removing to wire racks to cool completely.