Name of EventEaster Sunday
A meringue topped torte encrusted with sugar and toasted almonds
|Preparation time||15- 20 minutes + cooling time 30-45 minutes|
|Cooking time||35-40 minutes|
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated/caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 cup plain/all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated/caster sugar
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sliced or chopped almonds
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond flavoring
- 250 ml.whipping/thickened cream (optional)
Making the cake
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour 2 x 8-inch layer pans with removable bottoms.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks.
- Mix together flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture. Add milk and almond flavoring and mix well.
- Spread batter into pans.
- Bake cake until cake tests done and meringue is set, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool.
- While cake is baking, make filling (see below).
- Remove cake from pans. Let cool on rack. Place one layer on serving plate with the meringue side up.
- Spread filling on layer.
- Place other layer on top with meringue side up.
- Decorate with whipped cream if desired
Making the Meringue
- In a bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites until frothy (soft peak stage). Gradually beat in sugar and baking powder until stiff and glossy.
- Spread half of meringue over batter in each pan.
- Sprinkle each pan with almonds.
Making the Filling
- Mix milk, sugar, and corn starch together. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Pour some of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk and mix. Pour egg mixture back into rest of hot milk and return to heat and bring just to boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Cool and add flavoring.