Name of EventCzech Republic Jan Hus Day
Cuisine FromEurope Eastern
|Preparation time||30 min. + 30 minutes resting time|
|Cooking time||10 minutes|
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm full cream milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Note. There are may popular filling options to compliment the traditional cheese. Try some of these:
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 10 ounces frozen blueberries, or fruit of choice
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar, butter, salt, lemon peel, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each half into 12 balls. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten each ball to a 3-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat all cheese filling ingredients until smooth. Make a depression in the center of each roll (Grease and flour the bottom of a ⅓ cup dry measure or a glass with a 2¼ inch diameter and use to make deep indents on top of each ball until bottom of measure touches baking sheet) add filling.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Options - Fillings
In a small saucepan, combine pie filling and sugar. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into filling. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened; set aside.
Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and mix well. Microwave on high for about 6 to 8 minutes and stir halfway through cooking.