Name of EventCroatia Carnival (Karneval or Maškare)
Traditional filled doughnut poplar at Carnival time
|Preparation time||20-25 minutes + 90 minutes resting time|
|Cooking time||5-10 mins (depending on size of doughnuts) each batch|
- about ½ l (1 pint) warm milk
- 4 tsp sugar
- 80 g (3 oz) yeast
- 1 kg (2 lb) plain/all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 100 g (3.5 oz) margarine/butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp rum (optional)
- grated zest of 1 orange
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup apricot jam or jelly or filling of choice
- Dissolve the sugar in warm milk, blend in the yeast and leave for 15 minutes. Mix together flour, yeast and remaining ingredients to make a dough. The dough needs to be very soft, similar to pizza dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured board; shape into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. On lightly floured board roll dough ¼ inch thick. Cut dough into 3-inch rounds. On half of the rounds place about 1 teaspoon of jam or jelly. Brush edge with a little egg white then top with remaining rounds of dough. Press to seal edges. Cover with cloth and let rise for 30 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer or skillet. Gently place the doughnuts into the oil, top side down, 3 to 4 at a time. Fry, turning several times, until golden all over. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.