Name of EventThanksgiving USA
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||1 hour|
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chorizo or fresh pork sausage, casing removed and sausage crumbled
- 4 cups prepared cornbread#, cubed (gluten-free or with gluten), coarsely crumbled
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (removed from about 8-10 medium sprigs)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, diced (approximately 10-12 medium-large sage leaves)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup low-sodium/Salt reduced Chicken Broth/Stock
#The recipe can be made gluten-free or with gluten based on the type of cornbread used.
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the cherries/cranberries, onion, celery and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until the onions become translucent and begin to brown.
- Add the chorizo and brown for 2-3 minutes
- Add the sage and thyme. Saute for 1-2 minutes until the herbs become fragrant.
- Add the cornbread, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine all ingredients evenly.
- Add the egg and mix again.
- Pour the chicken stock evenly over the cornbread mixture. Pour the broth evenly over the cornbread mixture.
- Place in the oven, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove lid and allow to brown on top slightly (10-15 additional minutes). Serve immediately.
- Additional chopped sage and thyme can be added to garnish the dressing.
The stuffing can be combined on the stove top into a buttered casserole dish to complete cooking in the oven and then served with the rest of the meal.