Name of EventThanksgiving USA
|Yield||one 8 inch cake|
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||18 minutes|
- 6 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 4 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons powdered/icing suger/confectioner sugar sugar
- 6 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-4 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scrapped. (Instead of using 1 vanilla bean, you may use two teaspoons vanilla extract. Just subtract 2 teaspoons bourbon)
- 9 tablespoons cake flour*
- 4-5 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups whole pecans
*To quickly make cake flour, measure out 1 cup all purpose/plain flour and then remove 2 tablespoons. Add 2 tablespoons corn starch to the flour. Sift the mixture three to five times.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch (for a tall, fat cake) or 9 to 10 -inch (for a shorter thinner cake) spring form pan thoroughly. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and then grease the paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment,whisk the egg yolks, whole eggs and powdered sugar until just combined and frothy. Turn the mixer off completely while you warm the maple syrup.
- Add the maple syrup and molasses to a small sauce pan and bring up to a bubble, reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and slowly pour in the bourbon.
- Turn your mixer to medium-high speed and while the mixer is running, slowly pour the hot maple bourbon mixture down the side of the bowl. Do not stop whisking the eggs during this time. Once all the maple bourbon mixture has been added, continue to whisk the mixture on high speed until the batter leaves ribbons behind the whisk, about 3-5 minutes. Once you see ribbons, turn the mixer off. Now grab the bowl and tap it against the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles.
- Using a sifter, sift the cake flour over the batter. Add the vanilla bean seeds and then whisk on low speed until the flour is completely incorporated. I like to use a spatula and scrap the bottom of the bowl to be sure there is no flour down there. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared spring form pan. Use a spoon to make sure all the pecans and chocolate chips are even distributed throughout the cake.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes. Go 17 minutes for a super gooey cake and 19 for a little stiffer cake. Every oven is different, but just be sure to remove the cake while the center is still giggly. If the cake does not giggle, it is already overcooked. You have to use your best judgment, but I found 18 minutes was perfect. Once the cake is done, let it cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes. The cake will fall as it cools, this is what you want to happen!
- Slice and serve warm are at room temp.
Sourceed from Huffington Post. Please visit them for more recipes.