Name of EventChile All Saints Day
Popular corn dish throughout South America often made with both beef & chicken.
|Yield||4 to 6 servings|
|Preparation time||30-40 mins|
|Cooking time||1 hour- 1 hour 20 minutes|
|Main Ingredient||Corn & Beef|
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound/1/2 kg gound beef
- 1 tbs. paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup water or chicken/beef stock
- 1 tbs plain/all purpose flour
- 1 pound/1/2 kg fresh or frozen corn
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 or 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Milk -- as needed
- 1 tbs. sugar
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- 1 tbs. butter
- 2 or 3 tbs sugar
- 2-3 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup chopped black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Heat the oil in a sauté/frying pan over medium flame. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Stir in the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Add the ground beef, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sauté, breaking up the meat, until the beef is just cooked through, 6-8 minutes.
- Pour in the water or stock and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle flour over all and stir in well. Simmer for another 5-8 minutes until lightly thickened. Adjust seasoning, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the corn, cornmeal, cornstarch and sugar in a food processor and process until well pureed. With the blade running, add the milk a little at a time until the corn forms a thick batter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. Add the corn puree and cook, stirring constantly, until well thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Spread the beef mixture in a greased casserole dish. Top with the cooked corn puree and spread out evenly over the dish. Sprinkle the sugar over the corn topping.
- Set the dish in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
- After placing the beef mixture in the casserole dish, add 2-3 sliced hard-boiled eggs. Then top with the corn puree.
- Add 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup chopped black olives to the simmering beef mixture.