Name of EventThe Feast Day of San Gennaro (Januarius)
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking time||50 mins|
|Main Ingredient||Chocolate, Almonds|
For 20 cm diameter cake tin/pan
- 125g unpeeled almonds
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 100 g sugar
- 75 g butter (or margarine for the lactose intolerant)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 10 grams of flour 00
- 10 grams of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 10 grams of icing sugar
- In a blender chop the almonds inclusive of skins for approx.15 seconds (I do not prefer lumps, but if you like the feeling of almond grains, reduce the speed. Set aside in a bowl.
- Divide the chocolate into chunks and chop in a blender for approx.10 seconds on a medium high speed;set aside along with the almonds.
- Place the sugar and butter (or margarine) in a bowl and using a mixer beat at low speed for approx. 30 sec. add eggs, flour, salt, cocoa, whiskey, vanilla and yeast and beat at a medium speed for approx. 20 seconds, or until the mixture is pale and thick.
- Add chocolate and almonds. and mix at medium speed for approx. 20 sec, anticlockwise.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured cake tin/pan.
- Cook in an oven at 180 ° C for about 50 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, turn upside down onto a large plate, wet the surface with rum and let it cool.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with cream
Note:The rum is the real gem of the caprese: poured on the cake while itis still warm. This will create a crust that will not penetrate the sugar inside allowing it to stay fresh for 2 days if not cut open.