Name of EventMyanmar ( Burma) National Day
|Yield||4-6 with rice|
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||20-30 mins|
For the noodles
- 200 gms noodles (you can use any kind of noodles - I prefer egg noodles)
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
- Water as required (refer instructions on noodle packet)
- Salt as required
For the curry
- 1/2 kg chicken thighs cut into bite sized portions
- 4 onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste or grated ginger
- 1/2 garlic paste or grated garlic
- 3/4 tbs gram flour - a pulse flour made from ground chickpeas or chana dahl (available Asian/Indian grocers)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder of choice e.g. Madras
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock (water can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
For the Garnish
- 3-4 chopped boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup sliced and fried garlic
- 1/4 cup fried onions
- 2 tbs chopped coriander/cilantro
- 1/4 cup fried noodles (try Changs available most Asian grocers and some supermarkets)
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1 tbs finely sliced green chillies-
- Soy sauce(optional)
- 2-3 limes
You can make a vegetarian variated by substituting the meat for your choice of vegetables such as green beans, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, baby corn etc.
Preparing the curry
- Boil the water as required for noodles (as per instructions on packet) along with salt and garlic.
- Add the noodles and cook until the noodles are done. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute the onions till soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry for a few minutes over a gentle heat.. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and chicken. Saute till the chicken is cooked.
- Add the gram flour and mix well. Pour in the coconut milk along with the stock. Add the salt. Stir contents and let the mixture boil till it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Serve in individual bowls. Put some noodles in each bowl. Add the curry so that the noodles are well covered.
- Add garnishes of choice.
- Serve hot.