Name of EventBelarus Independence Day
Traditional potato pancakes
|Preparation time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and immersed in cold water
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2-4 onions grated (to taste)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- smetana or sour cream (for garnish)
- Place a large mesh sieve over a bowl and line it with a moist paper towel.
- Quickly shred 2 potatoes and grate 2 remaining potatoes (in that order) and deposit in the sieve. Cover with film and let stand 5-7 minutes, shaking from time to time (to drain juice).
- Discard the collected potato juice and transfer potatoes to a bowl. Add egg, onions and flour and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Warm vegetable oil in a skillet. Spoon batter, 1 tbsp per dranik/pancakes, generously spaced and fry on both sides at medium heat until golden-brown.
- Serve with smetana or sour cream