Name of EventBarbados Emancipation Day
Macaroni and cheese, specially seasoned and baked to perfection
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||55 minutess - 1 hour|
- 8oz/250g macaroni (tube is the traditional type)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 lbs/675g sharp chedder cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 8floz/240ml evaporated milk
- 1 small grated onion
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow (mild/American)mustard
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup/sauce
- 1 finely chopped sweet pepper/capsicum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated chedder cheese
- Bring water to the boil and add the broken up macaroni or macaroni elbows and salt. Boil it uncovered until it is just tender but not overcooked (about 8 minutes).
- Preheat a moderately hot oven 350F, 180C or Gas Mark 4.
- Drain the macaroni thoroughly, put it back into the same hot saucepan it was cooked in and mix in the butter.
- Grate the cheese and mix it in with the macaroni a bit at a time, while it is still warm.
- Whisk the egg until fluffy and add the milk, onion powder, white pepper, salt, pepper sauce and mustard. Pour in with the macaroni and mix.
- Place in a greased oven proof casserole dish. Top with a little butter, some grated cheese and fine breadcrumbs. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on the depth of the dish.