Name of EventAustralia Day
|Main Ingredient||Lamb Mince|
6 desiree potatoes
1 small tin sliced beetroot
1kg lamb mince
1 teaspoon Wildfire Spice *
1 teaspoon Alpine Pepper *
100ml Mountain Pepper BBQ Sauce *
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup flour
some oil for frying
2 spanish onions, finely sliced
a generous pinch of salt
1/4 bottle beer (optional) or some water
1 loaf wattleseed and walnut bread (or plain bread)
150g bacon or proscuitto
1 fresh pineapple, peeled and thinly sliced (2 slices per serve)
2 sweet vine ripened tomatoes
shredded lettuce of your choice
Can't find where to buy Australian groceries? See our guide to the best online shops.
1. Cut the washed desiree potatoes into thick chunky chips and preheat hotplate or frying pan.
2. heat sunflower oil to 190C/375°F, and lower the chips into the oil and fry for five to six minutes, until soft but not browned, then remove and allow to cool.
3. combine the lamb mince, Alpine Pepper, egg yolks, flour and beer. Mix well.
4. Form the mince mix into patties and cook on hotplate or frying pan. Cook pattie to desired doneness.
5. Also begin to fry the bacon, the pineapple slices and the Spanish onions on the hotplate.
6. Slice the tomatoes and toast the wattleseed and walnut bread
7. Remove the pattie, pineapple, bacon and Spanish onions from the grill
8. Heat the oil up to 200C/400F, then return the chips to the oil for two to three minutes. Remove and drain well, season with seasalt and Wildfire Spice.
9. Construct the pattie on the wattleseed and walnut toasted bread, then bacon, onions, pineapple, tomatoes and shredded lettuce. Add a little Mountain Pepper BBQ sauce on top and place the other piece of wattleseed and walnut toasted bread as a sandwich.
Serve the Aussie Burger with chips on a plate
* Ingredients available from Dining Down Under
This recipe has been made available with the kind permission of Vic Cherikoff. Please visit his site for an excellant selection of Australian recipes many using native ingredients