Name of EventIndependence Day Puerto Rico
Cuisine FromPuerto Rico
Sweet coconut rice pudding popular at festive events
|Preparation time||15 minutes + 2-2 1/2 hours soaking rice|
|Cooking time||1-1/2 hours|
- 1 cup raw medium rice
- 6 cups coconut milk
- 6 cinamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- Small piece of grated ginger or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Ground cinamon for decoration
- Pinch of nutmeg-optional
- Wash and drain the rice. Then add 5 cups of the coconut milk (set 1 cup aside) in a deep pot and add the raw rice. Let it soak for 2-2 1/2 hours.
- After soaking the rice in the coconut milk, add ginger, cinamon sticks, cloves, and salt to the pot.
- Continue to cook on low heat for 30-35 minutes - DO NOT STIR.
- After 30-35 minutes, add the sugar, the reserved cup of coconut milk and the raisins.
- Continue to cook on low heat for another 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes so the rice won't stick. Stir ONLY by moving the rice from the bottom of the pot to the top of the pot. Don't stir in a circle like motion.
- When the rice and coconut is ready, remove spices. Spoon rice into a flat serving platter. Sprinkle with ground cinammon.
- The rice pudding can be eaten cold or hot