Name of EventBahamas Independence Day
A moist rum flavored cake topped with a butter rum glaze
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||60 minutes|
|Main Ingredient||instant vanilla pudding mix/rum|
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 3.4 ounce box instant pudding mix (vanilla flavor)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup light rum (substitute 1/2 teaspoon rum essence to avoid alcohol)
Butter Rum Glaze
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup light rum (substitute 1/4 teaspoon rum essence to avoid alcohol)
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Liberally spray a standard 10-inch bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle walnuts evenly on the bottom of bundt pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Stir in vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and rum/essence.
- Gradually add in flour mixture to wet ingredients until blended.
- Pour batter into bundt pan on top of nuts.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes until cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely before inverting.
Butter Rum Glaze
- In a small saucepan mix butter, sugar, rum and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Using a toothpick poke small holes all over cake. Generously brush cake with glaze. Drizzle remaining glaze on top of cake.
- Reserve a small amount to pour on slices when serving.