Name of EventGuatemala Independence Day
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||45 mins -1 hour|
|Main Ingredient||Chicken Pineapple|
- 4 pounds/2 kg. whole chicken or thighs, cut into serving pieces
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped *or 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks , drained
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 each red and green bell pepper/capsicum, sliced/chopped (optional- not traditional but adds color/flavor to dish)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 inch piece of stick cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar #
- 1/2 cup dry sherry #
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Chicken stock
- 1 tsp chili powder
- hot cooked rice (cook concurrently so it is ready at the same time)
* Fresh pineapple is preferable. I save some slices (prior to chopping), grill and serve as shown in the picture.
# You can substitute 1 cup red wine vinegar instead of combining the sherry and white wine vinegar.
- Place the chicken pieces into a heavy skillet or casserole dish. (If using fresh pineapple, be careful and save all the juice. If using canned pineapple, use the juice).
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including salt, pepper and chili powder to taste. (If using fresh pineapple it may be necessary to add chicken stock to cover the chicken pieces as the fresh fruit will not have as much juice as the canned).
- Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 45 minutes. If the sauce is abundant, cook partially covered for the last 15 minutes to reduce. Serve with rice.