Name of EventDeepavali (Diwali) - the festival of lights
|Preparation time||10-15 mins|
|Cooking time||15 mins|
|Main Ingredient||Dough with onions and green chilies|
- 1/2 cup fine rice flour
- 1/2 cup fine rava (sooji)/semolina
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour/maida mavu
- 3 green chillies
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix all the 3 flours with salt and mix well.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil and mix with your fingers until crumbly.
- Chop green chillies and onions. Add to the flour crumbs and mix well. Add very little water and knead to a stiff dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Take a small ball sized dough and flatten so that it looks like those in the picture below.
- Deep fry both sides till golden brown. Place on absorbent paper and drain excess oil. Serve hot
1.In the pictures above the onions were sauteed before adding and they turned out black after deep frying. So add raw onions to the dough.
2.You can reduce maida (all purpose flour) and increase rava (semolina) for a more crispier vadai.
This recipe has been provided with the kind permission of Cook Click n devour . Please visit the site for an outstanding selection of authentic Indian recipes and in particular a choice of many Diwali recipes.