Name of EventJapan - National Foundation Day
|Preparation time||35 minutes to make, plus cooling and freezing|
|Main Ingredient||Matcha (green tea powder)|
- 500 ml full-fat/full cream milk
- 100 ml double/thickened cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 gms. sugar
- 10 grms. green tea powder/matcha#
- Tropical fruits, such as sliced mango or dragon fruit, to serve
#The green tea used in Green Tea Ice Cream is called Matcha in Japanese. Matcha is a powdered form, and so it has a much more concentrated flavor than green tea leaves. It should not be mixed with green tea you drink from regular tea bag. Matcha is also a drink that is used in the tea ceremony in Japan, but you don’t drink as much as brewed green tea.
To purchase matcha online we recommendTeavana
Making the Ice Cream
- Put the milk and cream in a pan over a medium heat and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, cream together the egg yolks, sugar and green tea for a few minutes, until thickened. Gradually pour in the hot milk mixture, stirring.all the time.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan over a medium-low heat and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not overheat as it may curdle. Sieve into a clean bowl and cool.