Name of EventNew Year (Neyrouz) - Coptic
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely ground blanched almond
- 1/4 cup finely ground pistachio nut
- 1/2 cup powdered/icing sugar
- 1/2-1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup candy-covered almonds (kufeta) #
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, if in season
# Available Middle Eastern groceries
Bring fruit juice & rose water to a boil, add couscous, stir well, cover, remove from heat & let stand 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Rub well into grains 3 Tbs. melted sweet butter.
Combine couscous with 1/4 cup each finely ground blanched almonds and pistachio nuts.
Mound on serving platter and sprinkle with mixture of powdered sugar & cinnamon.
Garnish with kufeta (candy-coated almonds) & pomegranate seeds.
It is good to serve with strawberries or raspberries on top and goes well with a cold glass of milk or heavy Arabic coffee.