Name of EventChristmas (Coptic) Sham el Nassim "fata"
|Preparation time||20 mins + 20 mins refrigeration|
|Cooking time||30-40 mins.|
2 cups plain/all purpose flour
1 cup powdered/castor sugar
1 cup clarified butter/ghee
1 tsp vanilla extract
20 almonds, peeled & halved for decoration
30 cloves for decoration (optional)
- In an electric mixer on high speed, mix the clarified butter for about 3-4 minutes until it becomes fluffy.
- Add the sugar and continue to mix for another 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is stll fluffy.
- Lower the speed on the blender, add in the vanilla extract then blend in the flour.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and refrigerate it for 20 minutes to help it firm up.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and divide into 4 parts. Form each part into a tube and slice the tube into the shape of the cookies. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Add the almond halves to half the cookies and press on each cookie lightly. Add the cloves and press on each cookie lightly. As cloves have a strong flavor and may not be to every ones taste replace with almonds.
- Let the cookies rest for a few minutes, preheat the oven to 375F (190C)
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, turning the tray around mid way through.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool down in the tray for about 30-40 minutes,