Name of EventCroatia Statehood Day
Cheese pie made with flaky filo pastry
|Preparation time||20-25 minutes|
|Cooking time||20-30 minutes|
- 1 pound/1/2 kg good quality feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1-pound/1/2 kg. package filo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup (1 sticks) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup good-quality olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together cheeses until light and fluffy. Add eggs and herbs, mix well.
- Separate filo dough into two piles of 24 sheets. Cut filo dough sheets in half. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap.
- Heat oven to 375 F. Mix together melted butter and olive oil. Using a pastry brush, butter 6 (8-inch) round shallow pans.
- Lay down 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with butter mixture. Repeat with 2 more sheets and butter. Spread 1/6 of the cheese mixture on top and to the edges.
- Lay down 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with butter mixture. Repeat with 2 more sheets. Tuck edges of filo down down sides of pan to create a rounded edge. Brush generously with butter mixture. Repeat for 5 remaining pies. Each pie will use 4 sheets on the bottom and 4 sheets on the top for a total of 8 sheets each.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.