Name of EventSri Lanka National Day
Cuisine FromSri Lanka
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||20-25 mins|
4 medium crabs cleaned, cut in half with legs/claws attached
4 teaspoons of fish curry powder (regular can be substituted)
1 sliced birds eye (small) chilli
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs of curry leaves (can be omitted if not available)
3 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced ginger or galangal
1 brown onion, sliced
1/2 tps of powdered cumin
2 tbs cooking oil
fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves for garnishing
1- 2 tsp fish sauce to taste (salt can be substituted)
1/2 cup coconut milk
Note. Chillies vary in degrees of heat but as a general rule, the smaller the greater the heat & red is usually hotter than green. Removing the seeds reduces the heat.
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
2. Add in the fenugreek seeds
3. Season with fish sauce
4. Add the turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, chilli and curry powder
5. Fry for about 3 mins on a low heat.
6. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves (stalks removed) and stir for another 3 -4 mins on a low heat so that the garlic does not burn.
7. Add the crab and keep stirring for a few minutes until the crab has been absorbed by the sauce.
8. Add the coconut milk and about 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan to let the crab cook for about 10 mins.
9.Garnish with the coriander (cilantro) leaves when the crab is off the heat.
10. Serve with either rice or breads such as Naan