Name of EventGreek Independence Day
|Preparation time||30 -40 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Main Ingredient||phyllo pastry honey|
For the syrup.
2 cups sugar
2/3 tbs. honey
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
For the Baklava
6 cups of unsalted chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pistachios are best, or use a combination of them)
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup finely diced dried apple rings (optional)
20 17 x 12 inch sheets fresh phyllo pastry or frozen, thawed
1 1/2 cups melted unsalted butter
Finely ground pistachios for garnish (optional)
Making the syrup
- Mix the cinnamon stick, sugar, lemon juice, honey, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat and let simmer for 7 minutes and slightly thickened.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. Can be made 1 day ahead.
Making the Baklava.
- Brush two 13 x 9 inch metal baking pans with some melted butter and set the oven to 350°F.
- Thaw the phyllo dough according to manufacturer's directions. Cover with a damp towel to keep them from drying out.
- Process the nuts into small even sized pieces, combine with the sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. In a separate bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Transfer nut mixture to large bowl; mix in dried apples (if using).
- Arrange one phyllo sheet in each pan with half of phyllo sheet hanging over 1 long side. Brush phyllo in pan with some melted butter. Fold overhang over to make two 12 x 81/2-inch layers. Brush with some melted butter.
- Repeat the stacking and buttering with 4 more phyllo sheets, making 10 layers total.
- Spread 1/3 of nut mixture (a generous 2 cups) over phyllo in pan to within 1/2 inch of edge. Repeat layering 2 more times with 5 phyllo sheets and 1/3 of remaining nut mixture each time. Top with 5 more folded phyllo sheets.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through top phyllo layers lengthwise (do not cut through to bottom of pan) to make 4 strips, then cut phyllo crosswise to make 16 rectangles.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown, and edges appear slightly crisp.
- Gradually spoon cold syrup over the hot baklava. Cool to room temperature and let cool for at least 4 hours. Garnish with some finely crushed pistachios of desired
- Cut each baklava rectangle crosswise in half for total of 32 pieces. Transfer baklava to platter and serve.