Name of EventBarbados Independence Day
Cornmeal, sweet potato, coconut, pumpkin, spices eaten on Independence Day.
|Preparation time||20-25 minutes|
|Cooking time||60 minutes|
|Main Ingredient||Corn flour/coconut|
- 2 cups corn flour
- 1/2 cup plain/all purpose flour flour
- 1 cup grated coconut (fresh if possible)
- 3/4 lb grated pumpkin
- 1/2 lb grated sweet potato
- 6 oz melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup whole/full cream milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3/4 lb brown sugar
- 4 ozs. raisins
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh banana leaves (banana leaves can be substituted with wax paper or foil.)
- Mix the coconut, pumpkin, sweet potato, sugar, spices, raisins, flour, corn flour, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the beaten egg, melted butter/margarine, and milk. Mix thoroughly by hand to combine. You should have a thick mixture that drops slowly from a spoon. Add more flour if the mixture is not thick enough; add a bit more milk if it is too thick.
- Strip fresh green Banana leaves from stalk with a sharp knife then briefly singe them over an open flame to make them more pliable. Cut the leaves into individual 8" squares or substitute with foil or waxed/baking paper.
- Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the centre of the banana leaf/foil/paper. Fold around the mixture, taking care not to rip the leaf/foil/paper.
- Steam the conkies on a rack over boiling water in a large saucepan for 1 hour or until they are firm.
- Unwrap and enjoy!