Dietary supplements have may uses:
- People use dietary supplements for many health conditions, to improve fitness and wellbeing or to help with weight management.
- People often use vitamins and minerals to supplement diet and treat disease. For example, echinacea may keep you from getting a cold and may help you get better faster. High doses of vitamin C may also help you get better faster.
- Historically, people have used herbal medicines to prevent illness, cure infection, reduce fever, and heal wounds.
- Herbal medicines can also treat constipation, ease pain, or act as relaxants or stimulants.
- Research on some herbs and plant products has shown that they may have some of the same effects that conventional medicines do, while others may have no effect or may be harmful.
- Researchers have studied some natural products and have found them to be useful. Omega-3 fatty acids, for example, may help lower triglyceride levels.
This information has been sourced, in part from: National Institute of Health Wikipedia U.S.Food & Drug Administration Web MD.